[techtalk] Some sound tools lock system

Kathryn Hogg kjh at flyballdogs.com
Tue Aug 29 00:23:16 EST 2000

I've got another problem that has me confused.  A couple of different
applications for playing various audio formats seem to grab the X Server.  I've
noticed the exact same behavior with the Real Audio player 7.0 and The KDE
Midi player.  They both play the files just fine and I can interact with the
tools OK until I try to use another window by clicking or pressing a key.  This also prevents new key or pointer events from being sent to the sound tool.

Interestingly enough, if I manage to kill the tool by telnetting in from my
son's computer or just wait until its through playing the fall, *all* the
queued up X events take off.

Has anyone else seen anything similar?  Or better yet, any ideas on how to stop
this from happening.  I mean, I'd love to do something else while listening to
a 35 minute performance of K's Choice.

--
Kathryn Hogg