[techtalk] Using AOL with Linux???

kelly at poverty.bloomington.in.us kelly at poverty.bloomington.in.us
Mon Aug 14 20:14:29 EST 2000

On Mon, 14 Aug 2000 14:54:27 -0500 (CDT), <tami at gnu.org> said:

>>It is not possible to use AOL's proprietary service with Unix and
>>Linux.
>        This is not true.  GNU/Linux users are free to use their
>machines to access any proprietary systems they wish to.  THere is no
>prohibition in the GPL against using proprietary services - just
>against linking free with non-free code in the same program.

Uh, you're confusing legal and technical.  There is no (simple)
technical means to use Linux, Unix, or any OS other than Windows or
MacOS to access AOL, because AOL doesn't publish its communications
protocols and nobody has bothered to reverse-engineer them (as far as
I know).  I think you saw "proprietary" and redflagged. :)

Kelly