[techtalk] Using AOL with Linux???

tami at gnu.org tami at gnu.org
Mon Aug 14 14:54:27 EST 2000

>It is not possible to use AOL's proprietary service with Unix and Linux.

        This is not true.  GNU/Linux users are free to use their machines
to access any proprietary systems they wish to.  THere is no prohibition in
the GPL against using proprietary services - just against linking free with
non-free code in the same program.

        As for the AOL messenger - there are one or 2  (gpl I think)
GNU/Linux compatable ones out there.  They just hit my announcement boxes
last week, but if you are already an experienced aol user, you might be in
a perfect position to do some finall debugging!

.Tami
 .signature: syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected

tami at gnu.org
(512) 699-7175
Austin, Tx.