[techtalk] FTP & chroot

Sheryl Weidner saska at noogie.com
Mon Aug 14 11:51:46 EST 2000

Hello list,

Puh-leeeeease, somebody out there, take a moment to answer this if you
can.

I'm running wu-ftpd on a RedHat Linux system and have a directory that
requires a username & password to access.  The account is set up with the
proper permissions (e.g. home directory is set to the directory in
/pub/ftp where the files live, and that subdir of /home/ftp is owned by
the user in question).  This user's shell is /etc/ftponly.  Previously I
had this working so that when the user logged in, they were chrooted to
that home directory.

Someone else with access to the system and the authority to sign my
invoices (mutter, mutter) changed the ownership of that directory and then
later decided that he wanted to re-enabled the authentication process.
Now he is complaining that when he logs in as that user, he can change
directories to the local system (e.g. cd /), like any normal user
(although he has no shell access and gets the proper "access denied" error
on important files like /etc/shadow). He doesn't remember what all he
changed in fiddling with the system, so I'm hoping someone out there can
tell me how I can get this chroot status back in order to make him happy.

Thanks in advance...

Saska

--
Saska - saska at noogie.com - http://www.noogie.com/~saska

"He's an affable enough screen presence, but you'd be
affable too if you could generate a lucrative movie
career by copulating with baked goods."
	-Paul Tatara on Jason Biggs