[techtalk] *nix comparisons?

Caitlyn M. Martin caitlyn at netferrets.net
Mon Aug 14 11:10:23 EST 2000

Hi,

> What we advise people is to "go with what you know".  If you don't know
> anything, we suggest you pick one and stick to it.  It helps if you pic=
> something that folks around you are using as it will be easier to find
> help.

Sometimes I agree with this, but sometimes I don't.  I started with Free=20
BSD, but moved to Linux simply because more apps seemed to be available a=
t=20
the time and more people were migrating to Linux than to BSD.  I'm=20
comfortable in either environment, but Linux *is* a bit more user friendl=
y=20
and easier to teach, and I think, as a result, it has a better future.

> I am *so* happy to find this list as it gives me someplace to ask
> questions where he doesn't think I'm doing an end-run around him. (Is t=
his
> a guy thing?  I mean, if I ask someone else for advice on crocking an
> arm-roast, it's no big deal, but if he discovers I've asked someone els=
> about something remotely technical, he's all bothered because he sees i=
> as an indication that I think he's incompetent.  Feh!)

That almost sounds like "Since she's asking the girls, it's OK", as in we=
=20
can't possible be as competent as he is.  Am I reading in sexism where it=
=20
doesn't exist?  There definitely seems to be a touch of insecurity there,=
=20
anyway.

Oh, and I couldn't tell you how to prepare a roast (I'm vegetarian), but =
I=20
can help with technical stuff sometimes  :)

Best,
Caity

--=20
Caitlyn M=E1ire Martin