[techtalk] Virtual desktops in GNOME

Fan, Laurel Laurel.Fan at compaq.com
Mon Aug 14 10:46:22 EST 2000

Subba Rao, subb3 at attglobal.net, said:
> I am pretty new to GNOME. My .xinitrc has gnome-session at the end.
> What I am looking for is virtual desktops (like I had in
> FVWM2). I would like that available on the desktop or in the panel(if
> that's what it is called) on the bottom.
>
> Where can I find some sample configurations on how to setup
> virtual destops in
> GNOME?

It would depend on what window manager you're running.

I believe that with gnome you also run a window manager to take care of
window-managing things like virtual desktops.  Last I looked, gnome's
default wm was enlightenment, but that could have changed, (or you could
have changed it) since enlightenment has virtual desktops by default.  I
don't know if there's an easy way to find out what wm you're running (maybe
there's a way to tell from GNOME?), but the way I'd do it is do a "ps a"
and look for a windowmanager.  What I'd look for is anything with the
letters "wm" in it, and others such as enlightenment, sawmill, or
windowmaker. (If you find something you think is a windowmanager, try
man-ing it; it'd probably say something like "the blah window manager"
near the top).