[techtalk] Using AOL with Linux???

GeekGrrl geekgrrl at geekgrrl.org
Sun Aug 13 20:19:59 EST 2000

Does AOL demand to use a custom dialer, or does it use Windows' Dial-Up
Networking?

If it uses dial-up networking, you should be able to make your
connection through Linux. This might, however, bar you from certain
aspects of their service that you may need their custom software for.

If it uses a custom dialer, then you will have to run it through WINE or
VMWare. I do not know if the AOL software works with WINE. It should work
with VMWare as long as you configure VMWare to use your com port.