[techtalk] mailman help

Aaron Malone aaron at mancala.semo.net
Thu Aug 10 09:42:08 EST 2000

On Wed, Aug 09, 2000 at 11:21:59PM +0200, Olivier Tharan wrote:
> Sendmail does not like group-writable directories very much. This is
> because everyone the same group as you could potentially change your
> .forward file and thus receive your email.
>
> do an 'ls -ld /usr/share/mailman' and look that the directory is indeed
> group-writable; beware also of /usr and /usr/share as sendmail won't
> like either them being group-writable (but they shouldn't be). Then do a
> 'chmod g-w /usr/share/mailman'
>
> If the latter is not an option for you (eg Mailman has to write things
> in this directory with group access and so on), you can use as a last
> resort sendmail's option 'O GroupWritableForwardFileSafe'.

Oops.  I just realized that I sent my last reply off-list yesterday.  The
problem that was breaking mailman was that the aliases needed to be set to
the link in /etc/smrsh/ rather than /home/mailman/mail.

--
Aaron Malone (aaron at semo.net)
System Administrator                 I can bend minds with my spoon.