[techtalk] sendmail/Mailman Lag

JLG batgirl at SDF.lonestar.org
Thu Aug 10 08:46:36 EST 2000

First, thanks to all who offered suggestions to get
Mailman up and running...and it is working just very, very slowly.

First, a little info about the machine  ("gundam") it is installed on:
Redhat 6.2
Sendamail 8.9.3
I believe Procmail handles local delivery in Redhat

I have some accounts on gundam subscribed to the list "listfoo"
I also have an account on another machine on the network subscribed as
well.

If I just send a plain old email from one account to the other on gundam
it arrives in seconds. If I post to listfoo it takes anywhere from
2-15min to arrive in the boxes of the other subscribers. This
huge delivery lag is also the case for the account on another machine so
I'm ruling out a local delivery problem.

Everything in the maillog looks kosher, here's a snip from a message
outgoing to listfoo:

sendmail[3220]: JAA03220: from=<jlg at gundam.xxxxx.com>, size=262,
class=0, pri=30262, nrcpts=1,
msgid=<Pine.LNX.4.21.0008100939300.3217-100000 at gundam.xxxxx.com>,
proto=ESMTP, relay=IDENT:jlg at gundam.xxxxx.com [127.0.0.1]
Aug 10 09:39:50 gundam
sendmail[3221]: JAA03220: to="|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper post listfoo",
delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=prog, stat=Sent

Here's some headers from a listfoo post (this arrived the same time as
one send 20 min before it!?!):