[techtalk] LILO >1024 cylinders?

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolm at commsecure.com.au
Thu Aug 10 13:54:08 EST 2000

On Wed, Aug 09, 2000 at 08:35:13PM -0700, jennyw wrote:
> Hi!  I finally got Debian installed on my box at our local LinuxChix
> meeting (thanks Stephane!).  One problem that we ran into, though, is
> that my computer already has NT on it, and the first available free
> space was after the 1024 cylinder limit.  Does anyone know how to get
> around this?

The latest LILO versions (version 21.3 and later) can do this, using the
lba32 option in lilo.conf (or -L on the command line). Your BIOS needs
to be fairly recent to allow this to work, but apprently most BIOS chips
that are 1998 or later will suffice.

Apparently, the Potato version of Debian (frozen version) contains LILO
21.4, so you can even get a debian package for it. :-)

Cheers,
Malcolm

Malcolm Tredinnick            email: malcolm at commsecure.com.au
CommSecure Pty Ltd