[techtalk] Trying to Head Off Potential Problem...

wny-tc at juno.com wny-tc at juno.com
Mon Aug 7 17:37:25 EST 2000

Greetings.  Keith here in the Depths of the Great Bergen Swamps of WNY...

Before I get into the nuts&bolts and install Linux/Mandrake 7.1, I am
trying to identify stumbling blocks in the path.

A BIG one may be my on-board modem.  Seeing that the modem driver looks
suspiciously like a WinModem I  may have a Linux box that can't "talk" to
anyone.  The only "spare" non-WinModem I have is a US Robotics Sportster
14.4K external modem, slow but it works.

I also have a Lucent-chipset WinModem, A US Robotics internal (ISA-slot)
56K modem on the office computer, A Rockwell-chipset 28.8K
modem/soundcard combo (and piles of other junque...)

Methinks that the internal USR card is the one I want to try, or swap
computers  with the office and use the all-in-one motherboard on that
computer or punt...

Actually, I am enjoying this!  I haven't put this much though into a
project  in aeons!

73, Wm. Keith Hibbert, WB2VUO, Technical  Coordinator, WNY Section, ARRL
ARRL Life Member, President/Brockport Amateur Radio Klub
Ph - 716.494.1239
mailto:wb2vuo at arrl.net
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.