[techtalk] *nix comparisons?

sara ruohotie ceres at intter.net
Mon Aug 7 13:37:08 EST 2000

hmm, first of all, i'm sorry to flood the lists, but i just came back from
the states, i was spending my honeymoon there and i was very much apart
from any internet access. so i'm reading these ~600 now and answering a
bit late to those i feel i have something to say to.

and about the subject.

i used to be a linux user very much (i was when i joined this list over a
year ago) but then i started dating this guy, who's nowadays my husband
and he turned me into using freebsd (he knows many of the freebsd
developers and thus has been using always freebsd). and this is my
perspective:

first of all because i'm married to this guy, who knows like 'everything'
about fbsd most of my problems are solved on it, unlike on linux. well
ofcourse, i've learned much too, which also implicates that problems is
more probable than before, but what ever. linux is more and more
mainstream (at least here in finland, where is was originally made =)
and thus it's been made more easy to use too. freebsd is still less
userfriendly, which makes a kind of 'hardcore' to use it, rather than
linux. well, linux is more sympathic in many ways.

fbsd has this thing called ports, which makes life like zillion times
easier. no looking for packets in the web, no more 'failed dependencies',
no more wrong versions etc. when installing something from the ports, it
installs everything you need with it and *most* of the time it's without
problems. ok, it doesn't *always* work perfectly, nothing does, but yes,
it has made things much easier.

and updating the system has become also a whole lot more practical. debian
has tried to do something a bit alike, but at least i was never as
satisfied with it as with this fbsd cvsup currenting thing.

linux was a bit more clear with its partition things and i think it's
easier to get weird cards (fex weird soundcards) to work on linux, maybe
i'm wrong.

i tried to install freebsd on a free partition so that it would've dual
booted with linux, but i was very unsuccesful. i think that's again
because of some stupid boot manager of freebsd or something.

and yet one thing that's concidered better in freebsd than linux.
softupdate. softupdate increases the amount of data resotred when a power
line on a computer is suddenly taken off. and it also makes the hd work
faster. at least that is what they say.

well anyway, this is my point of view.

and yes, i still like linux! *whine* don't kick me out of the list :p

sara