[techtalk] Goodby Windows, hello Linux!

MSYBlood at aol.com MSYBlood at aol.com
Sat Aug 5 15:59:32 EST 2000

Hi,
My name is Mike Youngblood and I'm a newbie regarding Linux.  I have been
using
computers since early 1983.  I do computer graphics and at the time, the only
machine that would do color was the IBM (Macs weren't out yet).
Consequently, my money is invested in WIntel machines.  Last year I became
completely frustrated by Windows' "Blue Screen of Death."  Consequently, I
began looking hard at Linux (even purchased Red Hat Linux V5.2).  But Linux
could not run the high end graphical software I use.  Recently, my son who is
a computer engineer, showed me Mandrake 7.1 running Windows98 in Virtual
Machine. Not only was I impressed with the stunning versatility of Mandrake
7.1 (the diversity of GUIs available is impressive), but being able to run
Windows98 applications on Linux using Virtual Machine sold me.  I am about to
install Mandrake 7.1 on my system.  But first, I thought I would seek some
advice from those more experienced with Linux.

1.  I believe the best plan for me is to install Mandrake on a second hard
drive rather
than to dual boot it from the same drive that now runs windows.  That way, I
can learn to use Linux without screwing up my Windows OS and applications.
As I understand it, all I need to do to manage this is to install LILO on the
first hard drive.  Right?  Wrong?  Also, is there a set of instructions for
installing Linux on a second drive somewhere on line?

2.  I believe I can install a copy of Windows98 in the Virtual Machine
running in Linux on my second hard drive without problems (conflicts) between
it and Windows98 on my first drive.  Right?  Wrong?

Some other issues:

3. I know that Linux does not yet recognize DVD drives.  I have learned
through
information on various Linux sites that this doesn't matter because Linux
will treat my DVD drive as a regular CD ROM drive.  My question when
installing Linux, it will ask me what flavor of CD-ROM drive is in my system.
 What do I answer?  Is there a generic CD-ROM specification I can use?

4.  Where may I find out what hardware Linux supports? For instance, I have a
SyQuest 1.5 MB SCSI external drive and a UMAX SCSI scanner. I am also running
a Palm IIIxe.

Any advice you may have will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
Regards to all,
Mike.