[techtalk] Linux with ISDN

Matjaz Godec gody at master.slon.net
Wed Apr 26 20:54:56 EST 2000

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, GeekGrrl wrote:

> There are other solutions than internal cards, also. I use a 3Com ImpactIQ
> external ISDN adapter, and it is no more difficult then adding in a bit to
> the INIT string to bond and use both channels. It connects to the machine
> physically though the serial port.

Those external devices doesn't need any support from Linux side. They are
either standalone routers with their own configuration procedure (and OS
derived usualy from some sort of Unix anyway) or external modem-like
devices.

The point is that they have usualy for a order of magnitude higher price
tag on them than passive ISDN cards. And from experience I can assure You
that 486/100Mhz with 20Mb RAM can handle 5 passive cards = 10 B channels.

	lp
		gody

|    Matjaz Godec    |    Agenda d.o.o.    |   ISP for business  |
|   Tech. Manager    |   Gosposvetska 84   |     WAN networks    |
|   gody at slon.net    |   si-2000 Maribor   |  Internet/Intranet  |
| tel:+38662.2297740 |      Slovenija      | Application servers |
| http://www.elgo.si | http://www.slon.net |  Caldera OpenLinux  |