[techtalk] Wine & CD-Roms ...

Chris J/#6 sixie at nccnet.co.uk
Tue Apr 25 18:36:10 EST 2000

Okay - I've got to "head meets wall" stage with this - I have a copy of
Microsoft Autoroute '98 ... I don't know if its known much outside the UK -
it's essentially a route planning program when your driving. Microsoft bought
the rights for Autoroute from the company that originally made it...anyhow,
that's by the by.

What i'm tryting to do is get it to run under Wine. Now, I can install it
with wine, no problem , follow the familier wizard through quite happily. The
main problem I have is that it requires the CD in order to run.

Herein is the problem: CD in, mounted, accessible (I just installed from it),
yet when it runs it cannot find it. I dunno if its looking for anything
"special" (low-level hardware stuff, sector checking?), but the program ain't
for having it - keeps saying "it's not there!". Similarly, its nowt to do
with the fact it was installed from linux. Originally it was installed from
Windows and gave the same problem (so I wondered if a reinstall would sort
out potential "registry" problems). Anyhow...either way, it doesn't work. :(

In a similar vien someone on another linux list is having similar problems
with the Encyclopedia Brittanica CD... :-/

Has anyone had success running something under wine that also requires the CD
to run ?

Thanks,

Chris...

--