[techtalk] remote xwin?

Brian Sweeney bsweeney at mail.veinc.com
Fri Apr 21 12:21:52 EST 2000

Hello again!

First off, thanks to everyone for answering my permissions/users questions
about creating admins and root users.  I was amazed at how quickly I got a
response.  I have since then created a second root user (called god) with
uid 0 that can do everything the root can do.  As a side note, this user is
NOT included in all the access denied files, so it can do things like telnet
and FTP in without a problem.  This is probably quite dangerous ;-)

I also downloaded sudo and am working with it now.

But I digress...today's problem is as follows:

I have several RHL 6.0 machines on my network.  I would like one to act as
the XServer, and have the others connect to it via an x interface to run
apps, print, etc.  However, I don't want the "clients" to have to install
the entire XWindows package.  I guess what I'm looking for is a "thin client
to server" connection, but I'm not really sure if that fits the
description...?

I've got a client like this running on an NT (Please don't stone me!)
machine, using a program called SuperX (www.frontiertech.com).  I'm
guessing, therefore, that it would be fairly straightforward on a fellow
Linux box.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian