[techtalk] newbie trying to set up ethernet connection

Laurel Fan lf25+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Apr 20 02:35:03 EST 2000

Excerpts from linuxchix: 19-Apr-100 [techtalk] newbie trying to.. by
Julia Coolman at gladstone.
> and i am SO lost and feel like SUCH a clueless newbie and have NO idea
> where to go from here. indeed, there is no such directory as /sbin/pump,
> but what is it needed for, and how can i remedy not having it?

pump is the client side of dhcp (dynamic host configuration protocol,
eseentially a way for a dhcp server to tell your computer its ip
address, gateways, etc.)

If you do want dhcp (if you don't know, you can ask whoever's in charge
of your network), there's probably a pump rpm you can install.

If you do not want dhcp, you'll have to configure it to not use dhcp,
and also give it the magic numbers.  I don't know linuxppc or redhat,
so someone else would have to tell you how to do that.