[techtalk] Users, groups, admins, roots...

jenn at simegen.com jenn at simegen.com
Wed Apr 19 14:31:41 EST 2000

Brian Sweeney wrote:

> So, here's question: What is the difference between someone who's an
> "administrator" and the "root" or "superuser" in Linux?

Hooboy. That set of questions is a good one - and no, it hasn't been
covered for as long as I've been around.

The short form is: root cannot be denied /anything/. Root can literally
do everything. You want to remove /bin? Root can do it.

You cannot duplicate root. You can, however, duplicate some of root's
functions using sudo. I've never personally done it, but I know it can
be done.

As for what groups Linux creates by default: that depends on the
distribution, and thus there isn't a neat description. :/

Hm. This question definately deserves to go into the techtalk FAQ.

I need to get back to FAQ-writing.

Jenn V.

jenn at simegen.com        Jenn Vesperman
http://www.simegen.com/~jenn/