FW: [techtalk] Installing Linux on a second hard drive.

Andy Davidoff dert at pobox.com
Tue Apr 18 00:59:27 EST 2000

Under Linux, multiple swap partitions are automagically striped, so
the ideal scenario is in fact to spread your swap partitions over many
channels and many spindles (disks) for maximal I/O performance.  In
most desktop Linux boxen, swap I/O eclipses all other disk activity.

How much swap you need is dependent on the use of the machine.  Most
Linux jockeys agree that systems with less than ~128meg (I think the
emperical evidence pointed to 124meg ;-) suffer a minor speed penalty.

I'm still waiting for a solid implementation of Solaris' tmpfs. :-/

#if Kelly Lynn Martin /* Apr 17, 15:22 */
> Ideally, you'd have your swap partition on a drive all by itself
> (which is impractical because nobody needs that much swap) or on a
> drive with infrequently accessed data; then the head on the swap
> drive will be always be near the swap data.  It's also a good idea
> to put your swap partitions near the center of the disk.
#endif /* kelly */

--
Andy Davidoff
Sen. Unix SA, EECS