[techtalk] Installing Linux on a second hard drive.

Wendt,Andrew awendt at neo.rr.com
Mon Apr 17 04:06:28 EST 2000

On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, Audin Malmin wrote:
>On Sun, Apr 16, 2000 at 10:39:32PM -0700, Lothan wrote:
>> If what I understand is correct, the cable select option requires a special
>> cable that has the master/slave pins removed as appropriate.
>
>	the "special" cable just has the device select lines (there
>are two of them) twisted between the two drive connectors...just like a
>floppy cable.  If you try to use C-select with a normal cable both drives
>will (obviously) respond as both master and slave...which doesn't work so
>well...

I don't believe there are two device select lines that are twisted.

It seems to be a single line, and that you could easily make one of these
cables by cutting one of the wires in the cable yourself.

Here is (another) quote from the relevant draft standard:

[...snip...]
Special cabling may be used to selectively ground CSEL. CSEL of Device 0 is
connected to the CSEL conductor in the cable, and is grounded, thus allowing
the device to recognize itself as Device 0. CSEL of Device 1 is not connected
to CSEL because the conductor is removed, thus the device recognizes itself as
Device 1. It should be recognized that if a single device is configured at the
end of the cable using CSEL, a device 1 only configuration results. See Figure
4 and Figure 5.

TTFN
Andy