[techtalk] Installing Linux on a second hard drive.

Kelly Lynn Martin kelly at poverty.bloomington.in.us
Mon Apr 17 00:32:33 EST 2000

On Mon, 17 Apr 2000 00:34:28 -0400, "Wendt,Andrew" <awendt at neo.rr.com> said:

>With IDE devices, only one of the master/slave can talk to your
>computer at a time, on each channel. But your computer is able to
>talk to a device on the primary channel at the same time as it talks
>to a device on the secondary channel.

There are also issues with putting devices that can handle both 16-bit
and 32-bit transfers on the same channel as devices that only handle
16-bit transfers; my understanding is that 16-bit-only devices may
become confused by 32-bit transfers to the other device.

Also, some older IDE controllers cannot cope with the case of a slave
without a master.

Kelly