[techtalk] Remote root Access Question

jenn at simegen.com jenn at simegen.com
Mon Apr 17 04:08:12 EST 2000

Pete Durst wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having some trouble setting up remote root access on a backup
> system.  In Solaris, to setup remote root access in a secure environment, I
> would put a .rhosts file in the root dir, and just use the rsh/rcp/rlogin
> commands to access the system without providing a root password (I would
> use the hostnames alone as the authentication control).

rlogin and .rhosts both exist in Linux, AFAIK. They may not be installed
in your distribution - their use is basically deprecated in this era of
SSH. There's probably an slogin or some equivalent.

I just tried hitting 'man' for rlogin, and it's not installed on my
system. The manual for ssh2, however, mentions the .rhosts file (and
rlogin, and rsh).

I suspect your problem is simply that rlogin and rsh are not installed
on your machine. You probably need to specifically add them. (for
Debian, 'apt-get install rlogin' should work.)

Jenn V.

jenn at simegen.com        Jenn Vesperman
http://www.simegen.com/~jenn/