[techtalk] qmail, fetchmail, and POP3

Jeff Dike jdike at karaya.com
Sat Apr 15 22:47:08 EST 2000

>  When I try to telnet to it on 110 from my shell account (this mail
> account), QPOP answers me. So it's somehow related to the firewall.

I hate to ask stupid questions, but can you make sure that your shell machine
and firewall agree on the IP address for maple.he.net?

> Could this have something to do with the fact that I'm blocking things
> like identd from coming through the firewall?

I just checked this.  I telnetted there and my identd got no probes (I
actually stopped my inetd, so the machine got no probes at all).

What "connection refused" usually means is that the machine is up and
reachable, but there is no service on the port that you're trying to connect
to.  That's why I'm wondering whether your two machines are connecting to
different servers.  However, through the magic of ipchains, I believe that
it's possible for he.net to have things set up to do checks like probe your
identd and then fake a "connection refused".  But it doesn't look like that's
happening here.

				Jeff