[techtalk] Journaling File Systems...

bobtfish bobtfish at freaks.screaming.net
Tue Apr 11 19:28:09 EST 2000

At 08:12 11/04/00 -0700, Jeff wrote:
>ReiserFS came up on the list yesterday, and I just ordered a 20.5 GB
>harddrive.  I really *don't* want to fsck the whole darn thing ;).

ReiserFS is meant to be *very* fast.. However it has MAJOR crufty VFS layer
and the ReiserFS people are still trying to catch up to the changes in 2.2

Having said that it IS meant to be stable..
(Or at least it was under 2.0.x..)

>Anyway, besides the ReiserFS, there is also XFS, JFS and EXT3 that have
>journals.
>
>They all still look pretty risky, considering that XFS source was just
>released last month, JFS has had five releases and ``is not complete
>yet,'' and Ext3 well, it looks the least intrusive, but still doesn't
>look done yet.

As far as I was aware Ext3 worked, it just wasn't at all quick..

>By least intrusive, I mean compatible with ext2.  So, you won't hose
>your fs if you accidentally mount it ext2.

Well, you hose your journalling.

>Anyway, anyone have any experience with these filesystems?

I'd like to say I had but I don't like ext so ext3 is just as much of a
turnoff as ext2.. And ReiserFS is too crufty, looking at the source..
Getting better and ready for prime time real soon now though.

BobT