[techtalk] Multiple Names -> 1 Interface

van little vlittle at pathcom.com
Thu Sep 30 13:59:26 EST 1999

if you want to bind two seperate ips to the same interface, do this:

ifconfig eth0:0 <first ip> netmask <whatever your netmask is> up
ifconfig eth0:1 <second ip> netmask <whatever your netmask is> up

once you are done, type an ifconfig -a to show all the ips bound to all
the intefaces on the box.

if you want to put the ips on like a secondary or a third ethernet card,
then just replace the eth0 with eth1 or eth2, whatever.

usign this method, you should be able to bind as many ips as you want.
to test it once i bound an entire /19 to one card once on a machine
running solaris and it totally worked. Slow as sin, but totally worked.

Samantha Jo Moore wrote:

> > Is it possible to set two domain names(two IPs) to one ethernet card?
> >
> > For example, mail.domain.org and ns.domain.org are two seperate domain
> > names, two seperate IPs that point to one ethernet card?
>
> It is possible to set to domain names to the same IP address and assign this
> one to your card.  If you want to have two IP addresses then you need two
> network cards.
>
> To set the two domain names to point to the same IP address you need to modify
> your DNS files.  Assuming that you have static routes... and that you have
> an SOA line in your /var/named/domain.org file...
>
> @       IN      SOA     domain.org.     root.domain.org (
>
> You can do this with CNAMES (which are something like aliases) :
>
>         mail    A               192.168.1.1
>         ns      CNAME           mail
>
> Or you can simply assign the same IP address to the two names:
>
>         mail    A       192.168.1.1
>         ns      A       192.168.1.1
>
> There are a lot of other intricacies involved here.  Let me know if you need more
> help.
>
> Samantha Jo Moore
> CTO - The Tahoe Group, Inc.
> http://www.thetahoegroup.com
> sjmoore at thetahoegroup.com

> techtalk at linuxchix.org   http://www.linuxchix.org

Vanessa Little
Systems Administrator	  	   Pathway Communications
email: vlittle at pathcom.com          phone: 214-6363 x 841