[techtalk] Cable Modem Issues

Beverly Guillermo bguill at toad.net
Thu Sep 30 11:00:12 EST 1999

> In the past, when I checked their FAQ, it said that you could have
> multiple computers set up via a LAN. I decided to go back and check
> today, and it doesn't have it listed in the FAQ, but in the service
> agreement, it states that they will hook up a computer outside of a
> home LAN, then you can connect it to the home LAN afterwards, and
> they will provide no support for your LAN. It also says it must be
> used for residential purposes, only. Which is fine. :)

The cable company that I use @home sometimes will try to reset everything
so when trying to run a server, you'd have to shutdown the network
and restart it again.   At least, they've told my friends who've tried to
run a server.

> I would get DSL if it was available in my area! <sigh>
> Of course, in reading through the agreement, they only specify
> Windows and Mac OS's as the ones they support. <sigh> I'll have to
> see if they'll even connect to a Linux box.

Well, they'll have to get people knowledgable in Linux to help out.  And
they don't feel like paying them...heh..

Beverly