[techtalk] Cable Modem Issues

machine machine at xs4all.nl
Thu Sep 30 16:02:09 EST 1999

Julia Frizzell wrote:

> I'm aware of that much about the cable modems, which is actually why
> I want to use the Linux box as a firewall between the rest of my
> computers and the big world out there. :)
Actually I got cable yesterday and I set up my old P200 as linux firewall
and hooked up my new linux box. Need to buy 2 isa eth. cards and some utp
cables today and I'll hook up a windows box for my landlady. Enter
'firewall' as dns server and gateway et voila :)

Well I guess the cable companies biggest issue is to save bandwidth. I run
no warez/mp3 sites etc.. so I guess my cable company won't much care what
I do. I just use my connection to be on irc and telnet/ssh around.

J. Emans aka machine at IRCnet
PGP Public Key: http://www.xs4all.nl/~machine/DSSkey.html
--
Mollison's Bureaucracy Hypothesis:
	If an idea can survive a bureaucratic review and be implemented