[techtalk] [Fwd: BOUNCE techtalk@linuxchix.org: Admin request of type /\buns\w*b/i at line 4]

Beverly Guillermo bguill at toad.net
Wed Sep 29 23:56:00 EST 1999

> You should read your agreement carefully.. Some cable-modem plans limit
> bandwith to something like 100kbps (which IMO makes it not worth it),
> and/or say you're not allowed to run "servers".

I think it's gonna depend on the area that you're living in.  If you're
in a heavily populated area, the cable company will probably limit
your bandwidth.  I don't know about MediaOne but I know that @Home does
not allow people to run servers.

> Also, what a cable modem does is make things look like ethernet.
> Basically what ethernet is is a bunch of computers connected to one
> "wire", so any computer on the same ethernet can see anything that the
> other computers send or receive (Unless the cable modem acts like a
> switch).  Which means you should be using encryption whenever you're
> sending anything you don't want random people finding out (Which is a
> good idea in any case, but more so when ethernet makes things
> easier...).  In general, when you're switching from being on a dialup to
> always being connected to a high speed link you have to be more careful
> about security stuff...

Here's a good explanation of what a cablemodem does and how to protect
yourself while using it, as well as a comparison(although kind of
biased view =)of DSL lines.

http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/1999/09/23/cable_dsl/index.html

Beverly