[techtalk] Kernel upgrade for Red Hat 6.0

Beverly Guillermo bguill at toad.net
Wed Sep 29 22:42:27 EST 1999

> Hi, everyone,
>
> I am running Red Hat Linux 6.0.  There are RPMs for the 2.2.12
> kernel in the
>
> Lorax (Red Hat 6.1 beta) FTP site.  I was wondering if anyone has upgraded
> the kernel in 6.0, rather than running the whole beta release.  If so, I'd
> love to hear comments about it.

The thing with upgrading the kernel with RPMs is that it may cause some
dependency issues concerning other files that Linux uses such as boot
scripts
or other files that interact with the kernel.  Check RedHat's website
and do a search about kernel upgrading or check out the Errata section.
They
are pretty good with putting stuff up that is relevant to the new rpms
in their ftp sites.

Beverly