[techtalk] partitions etc

Laurel Fan lf25+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun Oct 31 16:26:57 EST 1999

Excerpts from linuxchix: 31-Oct-99 Re: [techtalk] partitions etc by
Lighthouse t. D. Sun at one
> That will format /mnt/dosc as ext2 (linux native?), right?  That's what I
> want to do.

Yep.  Oh, one thing I just realized... you may have to change your
/etc/fstab entry for that partition after you format it (probably just
change the fstype from vfat to ext2, and you may also want to change the
mountpoint while you're at it, since /mnt/dosc won't make much sense),
so that it knows not to try to mount it as fat next time you reboot.

I always seem to forget to change stuff that only runs on startup, then
get really confused when I reboot 2 months later and things don't
work...

> Does it matter what order the partitions are in?  I mean,
> what cylinders etc they start on.  I think windows lives on the first 3
> gb, then linux has the second 5.  (After I'm finished, it will all be
> LInux.)

It shouldn't if all you want is 2 linux partitions.  Also, if you were
having 1024-cylinder issues before, you can now move the boot stuff
nearer the first cylinder to fix it.