[techtalk] partitions etc

Laurel Fan lf25+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Oct 30 21:45:29 EST 1999

Excerpts from linuxchix: 30-Oct-99 [techtalk] partitions etc by
Lighthouse t. D. Sun at one
> Is it possible to format a partition of an existing drive?

Yes.  The mkfs command takes the device name or mount point of a
partition as an argument, for example:

mkfs -t ext2 /mnt/dosc

(Don't paste that, read the manpage for mkfs, since that might not be
what you want :)). I would guess that the win98 installer would be able
to do this as well, if in fact you wish to put win98 back on it.
However, I'm not sure it won't try to eat the whole disk...

> And anothr thing:  how difficult is it to set up a LAN from a PPP
> conneciton?  (We have the modem, a pc with a NIC, a mac with a NIC, and a
> hub.  The PC will be running redhat 6.)
> I asked a friend, and he said it
> had something to do with IP masquerading and IPchains.

The IP Masquerade and IPCHAINS HOWTOs tell you how to do it.  It isn't
terribly complicated if you already have the kernel modules compiled,
which I believe RH6 does.