[techtalk] linux 6.1 install

Kir Kolyshkin kir at sgp.sever.ru
Fri Oct 29 07:01:26 EST 1999

Tonya Winter wrote:

> I have the same problem Sharon describes. I tried it again and this is what
> I found when I pressed Alt F3:
>
> mounting hdc on /tmp/rhimage as type iso9660
> creating directory /tmp/rhimage rc=0
> calling mount (/tmp/hdc, /tmp/rhimage, iso9660, -1058209791, (nil))
> removing decide file /tmp/hdc
> done here
> method selection completed
> state saved to /tmp
> error in exec of second stage loader :-(
>          error no such file or directory
>
> Maybe I need another boot disk? I was using the one I got with 5.2 because I
> don't have one for 6.1 and I cannot connect to the net in Linux to create
> one. (I have been struggling with getting Linux to connect for days now, I
> don't even know what to ask you folks about it.) Is it possible for me to
> create a disk online in windows?

Do you have official RedHat 6.1 CD? If you do, you can just boot right from CD.
Enter BIOS setup, find "Boot Sequence" option (or something similar) and set it
to something like "CDROM, A, C". Then you don't need any boot floppy.
Another option is to create boot floppy from CD.

1. Find DOS formatted floppy and insert it into drive. Do not mount it!

2. Mount CD-ROM, cd to its "images" directory (on my machine I type "mount
/mnt/cdrom; cd /mnt/cdrom/images") and do

  cp boot.img /dev/fd0

This command will create boot disk for you.

Good luck! And in the case of problems don't hesitate to ask ;)

--
|< ()  http://kir.sever.net kir at sgp.sever.ru kir at sever.net ICQ 7551596
() |_   Microsoft SELLS you Windows, Linux GIVES you the whole house!