[techtalk] logins

Cathy James cjames at opensite.com
Thu Oct 28 07:49:22 EST 1999

>Reminds me of the time I saw someone telneting to their account
>somewhere else when using a rather dodgy terminal. They became
>most perplexed as they couldn't log in. I suddenly realised what
>was going on. "Is there a number three in that password?" "Yeah,
>why?" "The three-key's broken." Luckily there was a numberpad as
>well as the more usual row.

	Ah yes.  That reminds me that a friend of mine in
high school had an Apple ][ with a couple of keys broken --
I think they were 9 and 0.  He would write his documents and
code using weird unique sequences to represent 9 and 0, and then
do a global search and replace based on the hex values of the
ASCII codes for 9 and 0.  It worked, but what a geek. :-)

	--Cathy