[techtalk] Okay so I recompiled my kernel under RedHat 6.1

Caitlyn Martin caitlyn at netferrets.net
Tue Oct 26 16:11:42 EST 1999

Hi, Norma,

> It is an early model parallel port drive

OK, you need to add the following line to your /etc/conf.modules file:

alias block-major-8 ppa

If you have the ppa driver in your kernel, that should make it work after a
reboot.  The physical device will be /dev/sda4, so if you created a mount
point (i.e.: /mnt/zip), you should be able, with a disk in the drive, to
type:

(for DOS formatted zips:)

mount  -t vfat /dev/sda4 /mnt/zip

and it should then mount your disk.  I am using the same sort of drive on my
system, and it works very well indeed.

You may then, once you have it working, want to add a line to your
/etc/fstab file so that it recognized the mount point at boot.  Also, if you
are running KDE as a GUI, you can set up the provided mount/unmount icon to
make it point and click, if you'd like.

I hope this helps.  If not, let us know what you are seeing, and I'll try to
figure it out with you.

Good luck!
Caity