[techtalk] Okay so I recompiled my kernel under RedHat 6.1

Tamara Thompson thompson at gate.sunquest.com
Tue Oct 26 11:14:19 EST 1999

If setting up your zip is anything like setting up my scsi DAT drive, you might try
looking in /lib/modules/2.2.5-25/scsi     (the modules dir for your current kernel, 6.0 is 2.2.5-15, yours might be different)

Then try to load modules to see which one works-
/sbin/modprobe aic7xxx   <---that's the one that worked with my Adaptec card

Check /var/log/messages to see if the drive is found.

"You can add a line into /etc/conf.modules and it will automagically load
the driver on demand, rather than you having to 'modprobe' it
manually when you want it."  from ckulesa

hope it helps,
Tamara

>>> "Norma" <narmstr at netzero.net> 10/26 10:41 AM >>>
I got the printer to work (which it did not for some reason by default under
RedHat 6.1 but did in 6.0). The kernel number is 2.2-12 (something like
that - again I'm under windows). I couldn't get the zip drive (even though I
compiled support for that in and I even created the partion where it was
supposed to be and attempted to mount it). No scsi support even though I
compiled that in. Would I be better off compiling the support for those
items as modules?

             Norma
*Insert witty message here!*