[techtalk] HTML resources

srl slandrum at turing.csc.smith.edu
Sat Oct 23 18:57:40 EST 1999

On Sat, 23 Oct 1999, Ingrid Schupbach wrote:

> I am hoping some of you out there could suggest some websites and/or books
> on HTML.  I have a good grasp of html basics - I've already designed
> several simple web pages.  But now I want to learn what fancier options
> there are for spiffing up a web page other than using <blink>. ;)
>
> Can anyone recommend some good intermediate to advanced HTML resources?

I'd say learn more about graphics, if that interests you. The ability to
build good, fast graphics is key for spiffing up a website. If you want a
site that'll teach you something about color and design, I'd recommend
www.lynda.com, Lynda Weinman's site. (Her books are great too). Learn how
to use tables and graphics backgrounds well, too--- that helps a lot.

If you're looking for more of a technical challenge, investigate some of
the tools out there for building larger websites, the kind you'd never
code by hand--- Zope (www.zope.org) and PHP (www.php.org?), for example.

*wave* Hi all, this is my first post. I'm srl, a web geek who does Cold
Fusion by day. I'm learning more about Linux/Unix in my copious free time,
particularly about open source web tools. I'm currently pondering building
a new system, 'cause my existing one is all spare parts. (a 486/66 with
16MB RAM and an 800MB HD, Redhat 5.2). I want to run GIMP, and this box
just doesn't cut it.

Does anyone have any experience with this ABIT motherboard I keep hearing
about---the one that can be set up as a dual Celeron system? The idea
seems attractive for price reasons, but I just don't know....

srl