[techtalk] GUI's

Laurel Fan lf25+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Oct 22 01:04:15 EST 1999

Excerpts from linuxchix: 22-Oct-99 Re: [techtalk] GUI's by
"Wendt,Andrew"@neo.rr.co
> I don't see it. The issue being discussed was the possible
> merger of Gnome and KDE.

Ok.  I thought you were saying that there's no reason for Gnome to exist
if KDE is GPL.

KDE and Gnome are not not merging because of license issues.  If you
would like to see this discussed to death, read any slashdot discussion
of a story about KDE or Gnome. It always comes up.  If you will just
believe what I tell you, read on.

Gnome and KDE will never merge because it would be very very hard and
nobody would ever do it (unless you're volunteering here..). Harder than
implementing every Gnome feature from scratch in KDE or vice versa.  Gtk
is not a drop in replacement for Qt.

Anyway, I don't think there's any good reason to.  Do you have one?