[techtalk] GUI's

Kelly Lynn Martin kelly at poverty.bloomington.in.us
Thu Oct 21 23:03:57 EST 1999

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999 22:59:46 -0400, "Wendt,Andrew" <awendt at neo.rr.com> said:

>What makes Qt a dog?

I recall reading a profiling test that showed that Qt is about 10x as
slow as GTK for a rather common operation.

>>Last I checked the license Qt is to be released under is NOT
>>GPL-compliant.  IHMO, IANYAL.

>KDE is released under the GPL... If both KDE and Gnome are GPL'd, you
>would think there wouldn't be a problem with licensing.

KDE is released under the GPL, but Qt is not.  You can't use KDE
without Qt.  (It's questionable in my mind whether a GPL product
should rely on a third-party library which is not released under
the GPL, the LGPL, or an equivalently open license.)

>What's IANYAL, you are not _yet_ a lawyer? :-)

Exactly.

Kelly