[techtalk] Would like advice on building system

Wayne Mehl wmehl at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 21 12:05:26 EST 1999

Yeah, I agree. The price difference is the same as the price for a good
fan. And you miss out on the cool AMD stickers.

Wayne

AMD K6-2 400MHZ 3D (RETAIL BOXED) W/COOLING FAN (3 YEARS WARRANTY)
Detail Specs

                $59.50

--- Amanda Owens <amowens at radonc.duke.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Wayne Mehl wrote:
>
> > My two cents on building a system....
> >
> <snippage>
> >
> > $53.00 	AMD K6-2 400MHZ 3D OEM
>
> Just a note - if you can afford to get the AMD Chip-in-a-box, do so.
> Often times, OEM chips will not come with a cooling fan, which the
> AMD-in-a-box does come with, and AMD's got a 3 year warranty from AMD
>
> itself, as opposed to 90 days - 1 yr on any of the OEM chips I've
> seen.
> You also get a neat nifty 'AMD Inside' sort of sticker to go on the
> front
> of your machine. :)
>
> I've gone both ways relatively recently - chip-in-a-box and OEM
> (which
> the retailer actually put together for me), and I much preferred the
> chip-in-a-box experience. And the 3 year warranty is *very* nice.
>
> Mur!

> techtalk at linuxchix.org   http://www.linuxchix.org

=====

 "In art and dream may you proceed with abandon.
   In life may you proceed with balance and stealth."
                                 --patti smith