[techtalk] GUI's

Karl-Heinz Zimmer khz at snafu.de
Wed Oct 20 18:31:26 EST 1999

Am 10/20/99, 9:08:51 PM, schrieb Brendan/Coolian:

> I just stick with KDE, as I believe it'll be taking over
> the world.

Never mind!  ;-)

Regardless of whether you can imagine it or not KDE and GNOME
are on their way to take over the (Linux on the Desktop-) world.

There are great advantages in using an integrating environ-
ment system like KDE or GNOME that are far beyond the nice
looking windows and funny backgrounds of Windowmaker.

(Don't get me wrong: Windowmaker is  g o o d
 but in my humble opinion KDE or GNOME are better.)

Drag and Drop, OLE, CORBA and similar concepts mean advantages
for both users and developers and help build Linux systems
that do an extremely good job - on the Desktop!

Regardless of what people say: you really don't need Windows
if you've got a fine Linux machine with KDE.

Of course due to it youth there exist some errors in KDE but
seeing that they managed to get rid of nearly all of these
ugly Memory-Leaks is am very optimistic they will manage to
find and fix the other bugs also.  The end will be a system
that will be very stable and even more useful.

I believe (Ok 'believe' is not the right word, let's say: i
trust) in the people developing KDE and i *also* am very
impressed by the work and the discipline of the GNOME team.
So i expect to hear some more very interesting news from
these two systems in the near future...

Best greetings,

Karl-Heinz
--
K.-H. Zimmer     *     Hamburg     *     Germany