[techtalk] Older versions of distros

Henti Smith hentis at is.co.za
Wed Oct 20 16:12:07 EST 1999

> I finally got around, last night, to cleaning off my second
> hard drive in preparation of installing linux & I have a few questions
> before I start.
> One is:  Is there any overwhelming reason that I should get the very
> latest version of linux, or would installing an older one be ok?  I
> already have a copy of Redhat 5.0 and I was just going to go ahead and
> install that.

It should be fine .. but you must keep in mind that security holes have been
found since it's release .. I'd suggest you patch them ASAP :))

> I was also wondering some things about LILO (pardon my extreme
> newbieness).  Will it work properly if installed on a secondary drive
> instead of my C drive?  If the secondary hard drive is slaved
> to the C?
> Or does this have no bearing whatsoever?

lilo is a loading manager .. so it installs itself according to what you
select * default is on the primary boot sector ) and from there it deligates
what must boot up ... installing it on the secondary part will not work ( i
think . . never tried it ) .. but I would suggest you keep it on the boot
sector .. and just add any additional bootups from there .. * it's part of
the installatrion selection ..)

hope that helps :))

Henti