[techtalk] Would like advice on building system

Kir Kolyshkin kir at sgp.sever.ru
Wed Oct 20 04:24:54 EST 1999

Cathy James wrote:

>         Also, what prices can I expected for inexpensive Ethernet cards?
> I'd like to eventually network this machine with my husband's, and configure
> the 486 I'm replacing to server as an Internet firewall/server.

Seems that you don't need FastEthernet, so you can stick to something like
Compex RL-2000 card which should be below $20 (at least here in Russia). Maybe
you can find good old 3Com 3c509 card. 3c900 (it's PCI) shouldn't be too
expensive now, or you can buy 3c905 if you are planning to move to 100 MB/s
later.

If you want to connect only 2 machines, you even don't need a hub - you can use
cross twisted cable.

>         Is it realistic to expect to build a nice system for $1200 or so?

If you don't need to buy a new monitor, $1200 should be quite enouth.

> I'm not thrilled at what has happened to memory prices recently, but what
> can you do...

Well, prices are going down every day - 64 Mb PC-100 DIMM costed about $150 two
weeks ago, now it's below $120. So maybe it's better to wait for a month or so
or buy 64 Mb first and another 64 or 128 Mb later.

--
|< ()  http://kir.sever.net kir at sgp.sever.ru kir at sever.net ICQ 7551596
() |_   Microsoft SELLS you Windows, Linux GIVES you the whole house!