[techtalk] Would like advice on building system

Walt pippin at fred.net
Tue Oct 19 18:18:33 EST 1999

At 04:26 PM 10/19/99 -0400, Cathy James wrote:

>	Also, what prices can I expected for inexpensive Ethernet cards?
>I'd like to eventually network this machine with my husband's, and configure
>the 486 I'm replacing to server as an Internet firewall/server.

You shouldn't have to spend more than $30 for a good brand (Netgear?) NIC.
( http://www.onsale.com/category/inv/00038645/02017876.htm Not sure
how long this link stays good, but it's the Netgear FA310TX at Onsale.com
under AtCost for $16.24 + $4.95 s&h. . .)

>	Is it realistic to expect to build a nice system for $1200 or so?
>I'm not thrilled at what has happened to memory prices recently, but what
>can you do...

I just bought this system:
      HP Kayak (new)
      Intel Pentium II 300MHz processor
      512KB cache
      128MB SDRAM
      9.1GB Ultra SCSI hard drive with HP FastRAID hardware acceleration
      24X CD-ROM
      10/100BaseT Ethernet LAN
      Matrox Millennium II graphics with 4MB video RAM
      Sound Blaster Pro-compatible audio
      Windows NT Workstation 4.0

for $861(+ shipping).

Obviously the processor is a downside (the motherboard is only 66 mhz).

Walt

-~

    People should be taught what is, not what should be.  All my
    humor is based on destruction and despair.  If the whole world
    were tranquil, I'd be standing in the bread line--right back of
    J. Edgar Hoover.
                        Lenny Bruce