[techtalk] To me it fast becomes a non-technical

kev kevin.porter at fast.no
Mon Oct 18 12:09:17 EST 1999

Ingrid Schupbach wrote:

> > I don't know if I want to inflict a technical group where people are
> > looking for CODE and sources, and stuff, with a long discussion about this.
> > ALTHOUGH if someone has built a DUAL-BOOT LINUX and still uses MICROSOFT
> > for OCCASSIONAL THINGS, like running a "Tested, Trusted Tool ONE DOESN'T
> > WANT TO GIVE UP..." So ANY DETAILED STORIES OF DUAL-BOOT INSTALLATIONS and
> > HOW THEY WORKED afterword is FULL GORY DETAIL, well that I would LOVE TO
> > HEAR.

I have two dual-boot installations. At work Linux shares PC with Win NT. At home
I have half my HD dedicated to Win 98 and half for Linux. II have only had one
really big issue with a dual-boot system - that is, with Linux/NT, I can never
get the time right on Linux, or rather I just have to set the clock with date -s
immediately after booting into Linux. I think NT was doing something weird with
the clock. I very rarely boot into NT these days, but I still have to do 'date
-s' if I reboot. I don't know why, I think I've broke it somewhere whilst trying
to fix it! If I'd not bothered trying to fix it, no doubt I wouldn't have the
problem now cos I don't boot into NT. At home, with Win 98, I've had none of
these problems whatsoever. Linux and Windoze get on very well and don't fight
over the clock.

HTH,

- Kev