[techtalk] Is there a Kill -8, too?

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Fri Oct 15 13:55:10 EST 1999

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Jenn wrote:

> killall might work
>
> i.e killall netscape

'killall' is just a program to let you kill processes specified by their
name (rather than their PID). If you 'killall netscape' it does grep for
netscape's PID and kills it like kill(1), i.e. you can specify signal
numbers or names on the command line (e.g. 'killall -9 netscape'). So this
won't kill processes that can't be killed by kill(1) (now this sentence
sounded somehow strange).

Be warned that killall will kill/signal _all_ processes that have the
specified name (except the current killall process), so this is a bit
dangerous if used by root (don't try 'killall -9 bash' -- your users would
love you for this).

> On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Jane Susi wrote:
[snip]
> > I'm sorry, if I bother you with a really silly question, but...what
> > shall I do, if this "kill -9" just does'nt work? Not very long time
> > ago it just happened, so what to do for avoiding such situation??

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen / Vogelsangstrasse 115 / D-70197 Stuttgart / +49.711.6599405
nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de / nils at fht-esslingen.de / nils at redhat.de