[techtalk] Secure web server...

Vinnie Surmonde drachen at george.he.net
Fri Oct 15 19:13:58 EST 1999

On Fri, 15 Oct 1999, Walt wrote:

> There may be some slight database overhead (i.e., time users
> spend logged-in must be kept track of for monthly billing.)

logged into the box, logged into the website, or logged into a nationwide
dialup network <G> (I've done the last one, so it's not *that* far
fetched, but I doubt it's what you really meant :) )

your best bet with that is to figure out which database product you're
going to use, come up with a best guess estimate for how many operations
you'll be performing per x, and consult the docs and folks who actually
run whatever it is you choose to figure out what hardware you'll need for
that.

> >From the sound of it, I'll be able to keep my initial investment
> low. Which is exactly what I'm aiming for. When I outgrow my
> bandwidth and need to buy better stuff, I'll have the money to
> handle it then.

oh yeah. no problem.

I'm not a big fan of using older hardware for production, 24/7 servers
mostly because stuff does break eventually. If you've got a 486 or pentium
that has been running reliably for awhile though, it may be a good box for
this...especially if you keep hot spares of all the important things
(especially hard drives, and make backups whether or not you have new
hardware) around so if the fit does hit the shan, it's just a matter of
popping new whatever in and throwing it back on line.

Vinnie
--
Reality is a formality, an agreed upon set of lies -- J.D. Catron
Obligatory pathetic website at http://george.he.net/~drachen