[techtalk] Secure web server...

Walt pippin at fred.net
Fri Oct 15 21:07:31 EST 1999

I have just been asked to get pricing together to set up a
password-access only website.

I currently have cable-modem internet access and definitely
do not expect traffic demands to exceed my 512k bandwidth.
(at least not initially)

My questions are:

1) What kind of server hardware am I looking at having to buy for
this project? (I would NOT expect more than 100 simultaneous
users or, as I said above,  to exceed my 512k)

2) What is involved in making a 'secure' website? (Please note: I
am _nearly_ a complete newbie to linux, and I only have a
somewhat-greater-than-working-knowledge of HTML.)
I know this can be a broad question. :-) But basically, I only
want to know the non-obvious buggy type problems that I'll
run into and the software from which I should expect to get the
best results. I'm a pretty quick learner and I'm studying O'Reilly's
Programming Perl and I know Java.

Thanks much in advance,

Walt

-~

    There are two insults no human will endure; the assertion that
    he has no sense of humour and the double impertinent assertion
    that he has never known trouble.
                        Sinclair Lewis