[techtalk] For the not so techie Linux users

Just This Girl archmage at gte.net
Thu Oct 14 14:06:36 EST 1999

Your modem should be on the IRQ for the serial port its on, shouldn't
it? That would be IRQ 4 (COM1) or IRQ 3 (COM2).

I would, however, like to add a note of caution on using Windows IRQ
tables to set up hardware for Linux.

Windows does naughty things and is more lax and permissive. In my
personal experience, Windows98 let my NIC have IRQ 10, which my svga
card also uses, and the NIC and the SVGA both worked.

However, Linux had a issue with this, and I had to change the IRQ of my
NIC to an unused IRQ to get it operational under Linux.

Here is a roughtly standard IRQ chart for Linux:

0 Timer
1 Keyboard
2 Cascade
3 Com2 (Modem, if you have a serial mouse)
4 Com1 (Mouse, if you have a serial mouse)
5 Might be a soundcard on some systems. If sound is on 5, 10 is free.
6
7 LPT
8
9
10 Might be a soundcard on some systems. If sound is on 10, 5 is free.
11
12 Might be a PS/2 mouse if not serial mouse
13 FPU
14 Ide0
15 Ide1

--