[techtalk] Question for the group

Beverly Guillermo bguill at home.com
Thu Oct 14 14:29:56 EST 1999

> One of my unix students ask me if unix/linux had the same plethora of
viruses that
> Windows/NT has. While I couldn't sight any statistics, I said I hadn't
heard of any
> successful unix/linux viruses. I did some research this morning and still
can't come
> up with any hard data. Any ideas?

Viruses/Trojans/etc are independent to the software and OS.  So anything
that
will work in Windows9x/NT/2000 shouldn't work with Linux/Unix varieties.
Most
of the issues with Linux/Unix have been mostly trojans that create backdoors
for malicous type users.  Or worms that will eat up resources without giving
them back to the OS.  One of the sites I look at frequently is
http://www.securityfocus.com and it has a lot of information about security
issues of any OS.

Beverly