[techtalk] KDE vs Gnome

Kelly Lynn Martin kelly at poverty.bloomington.in.us
Thu Oct 14 07:34:54 EST 1999

On Tue, 12 Oct 1999 09:39:58 -0400, "Beverly Guillermo" <bguill at home.com> said:

>You have it your setup to enter X automatically, so you're running at
>runlevel 5, rather then runlevel 3.  Runlevel 3 is the usual
>initialization of Linux that brings you to the console login.  Check
>your /etc/inittab for what its saying and edit it to use 3 if you
>want the console first rather then X.

Actually, there's doesn't appear to be a standard for runlevels in
this regard.  My system (originally, Slackware) is set up to go to
console mode in runlevel 5 and xdm in runlevel 4.  The only consistent
usage for runlevels is 0 is shutdown, 6 is reboot, and 1 is
single-user mode.  2 thru 5 are highly variable.

Kelly